Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark. In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but never have been able to reach. The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours.

Friday, February 19, 2010

This too; shall pass


After a somewhat emo and dismal blog I decide to think about the script I have permanently inked on my skin and the quote that gives me more hope and faith in the world than anything... also thank you to the girl who understands its meaning (and for her facebook that I stole this text from!)

"The quote, in itself, is simple. The true wisdom to be found in its meaning is revealed in the story from which the quote originates. Whether it serves as a reminder or this is the first time you hear it....


King Solomon, feeling blue, asked his advisors to find him a ring he had once seen in a dream.
"When I feel satisfied I’m afraid that it won’t last. And when I don’t, I am afraid my sorrow will go on forever. Find me the ring that will ease my suffering." he demanded.
Solomon sent out all of his advisors, and eventually one of them met an old jeweller who carved into a simple gold band the inscription, "this too shall pass." When the king received his ring and read the inscription, his sorrows turned to joy and his joy to sorrows, and then both gave way to equanimity.

You see, the great King found himself unable to be content. He felt sorrow when he was happy, and sorrow when he was not, because he was unable to see his way forward. The ring served to cancel out his sorrow. By constantly having something to look forward to, he found himself content. What he previously thought was satisfaction was only a superficial feeling that was brought on by his great wealth, which was only temporary, thus his satisfaction could not last forever. True satisfaction could only be found when he recognised his wealth for what it was.

Life can be your ring. This too shall pass. Believe that, and you will have found your peace with the process of moving forward in life.

There is happiness to be found in realising that you are already happy.
Happy that you've finally allowed yourself to be happy."

Thank you Katie Valentine!

No comments:

Post a Comment