Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark. In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but never have been able to reach. The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Childhood.

Last week Danika and I were talking about books we read as children.
The Princess Diaries and The Secret Garden were both common favourites.
I remember in The Princess Dairies movie always crying when her "Papa" couldnt recognise her and she was screaming out to him as the evil Miss Minchin was trying to send little Sara away to an institution.
I also loved all the Anne of Green Gables books and movies. Also Pollyanna.
Why are all these beautiful childrens books set or written in the past? Was it because the past was a just a better time to grow up?

When I was little me and my best friends used to play "Now and Then" cos we were so obsessed with the movie. I still look at it now and wouldve loved growing in the last 60's when you could just ride you bike to another town without wearing helmets and without your parents worrying about were you were.

On the early hours of Sunday morning Sophie and I also shared a scholastic book club memory from the past. While everyone remembers "The Babysitters club" less are Familiar with the "Little Sisters" series that followed Kristy's younger half sister Karen. In a famous Karen novel she needs to get glasses... Now believe it or not both Sophie and I were so obsessed with these books that we both faked headaches to our Mums and said we couldn't read the blackboard at school so we could be like Karen and get glasses.

I really wish my imagination was as powerful as it once was. Maybe then I could continue living in a 1900 fantasy world as a lost little orphan/princess... who needed glasses of course.








No comments:

Post a Comment